Followers

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What I did for spring break. :)

 We critter sat for our neighbors during spring break.
The first couple days it was lovely out so we sat out in our yard with their dog and our dog and chickens and I sketched a little. Then later I decided to do a little sunflower book mark from an old photo of some Sunflowers I grew.
 I decided to paint the sketch to bring out Milo and our chickens, but I forgot it was only sketching paper so it grabbed the paint and puckered, but it did make it come alive more. The sunflower is on watercolor paper so it came out all right. I posted these on the Paper, Paint, Pencil & Pens blog before the gardens and parks theme ended.
 Milo is about 14 years old and very mellow and he missed his mama but he seems to consider us his second home so all works out with our pets.
 Jill said her chicks doubled in size in the week they were gone. She left them with us for a couple more days after they got home until she could figure out where to put them as they need more room then the crate now and are growing daily. I really enjoyed having babies again as mine are now all adult. Laying eggs and  no longer doing the funny baby antics. Kids grow so fast. :)) We transported them home last night. I will miss them but they are a lot of work in that amount.
We had Milo, their dog, to care for here, and the 8 chicks in our garage and went over to feed and check on two cats, two black and white rats, a bunny and Three grown chickens and to feed the wild birds daily too. Of the six Chickens she got two years ago she has lost three due to Hawks that fly along the River. So we keep busy while they are gone.
 But we get to see the river and morning sunrises coming over it.
 And her huge Lilac bushes in bloom.
 I LOVE Lilacs so had to get some photos of them.
When Jill got her chicks last night she brought over a huge bouquet of them for me that she cut from those bushes since she knows how much I do love them and....
THEY SMELL AWESOME!!!
Can you smell them?
Ahhhhhh
Life is Good!
:)

18 comments:

  1. I sure wish we lived closer than we do and I could leave you in charge of Henry V when we go away! You are tops at critter care!
    Lucky Jill and animals!
    Loved your art on paper, paint, pencils & Pens, love it still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like going somewhere that feels more like home. Milo now comes to say hi to me when he sees me. Guess we do good for him. :) thanks Lynn.

      Delete
  2. Atishoo. Those flowers smell heavenly. What a full and interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly. I do get a little sneeze in now and then but oh they smell so good. :)

      Delete
  3. Never a dull moment around your place. Love seeing your sketches. I can almost smell your lilacs. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can!!! Beautiful post! Beautiful post,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your little sketches and hearing about the animals. I'm with you on loving lilacs, the smell is intoxicating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Lisa, Laurie and teri. No its not dull around here for sure. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore lilacs and those are beauties. How handy you care for her animals while she is away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. She thinks so too. :)) We love animals.

      Delete
  8. What a great post! I feel I know ALL your *critters* (including Milo)....I recognised him in your sketch at once! It is inspiring to see the Chickens (young and not-so-young) just LIVE...despite all the perils. It gives me courage to go forward with my own life...

    As for the Lilacs.....well...YOU KNOW how much I adore them.... could almost smell them from your photo!

    Love to all, ALWAYS,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, I thought you would enjoy the Lilacs. :) and does she have the bushes. I have planted some but those have been there for years. I am happy to see the young and old getting along well now. and yes you CAN go forward. time flies by fast and soon it will be but a memory.:)

      Delete
  9. Lovely post, Cris. I've got cut lilacs on my windowsill too. Many years ago I brought back a cutting from one of my mother's bushes in Wisconsin. She loved her lilacs … nice memory for me.

    I loe your sunflower bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elva. Oh I love memory gardens. How fun. the lilacs are rampant around here aren't they? Jill's are further along then mine tho.. maybe its the type of bush. how did you get the cutting to grow? I might have to get one from hers.. it might be a better bloomer. :)

      Delete
  10. lilacs? and sitting outside? wow - am jealous

    love your sketches as usual, and yeah - you are one busy lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. Yep and I am complaining about the rain.. but we can sit outside in between and see the flowers growing so I need to be more grateful!!!. LOL

      Delete
  11. Love your photographs and drawings. The misty morning sunrise photo is so atmospheric Cris, lovely shot. And I wonder is there a chicken following Annie? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a cool shot but it didn't do the real view justice. No chickens but the bunny was out running around in there. She loves the bunny. :))

    ReplyDelete